Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chocolate, Date and Coconut milk bread pudding


I stepped out at lunch today and walked past a Fishworks. Having recently been introduced to their taramasalata it was impossible to walk past. Treasure in hand I remembered the local grocers stocks Pouillaine sourdough bread. Alas! There was none on the shelves. Just in case, I decided to ask the shop assistant. She very sweetly went out the back and brought back a loaf and said, we have this, it's old but - feel it - it's still ok. Because it's old I can't sell it to you but I can give it to you.
Ok. Works for me!

There was enough bread there to host the taramasalata plus extra that was just begging to be made into a bread pudding. This was enough to make two large ramekins like the one you can see here. It's dairy-free, too.

Ingredients:

2 large slices of sourdough bread
coconut oil
1/2 can coconut milk
5 dates
1 egg
splash of water
1 1/2 tablespoons of chocolate chips (I just chopped up some Lindt and callebaut)
1 tbs agave syrup (but you could use maple)
sprinkle of sugar for the top

I buttered the bread the coconut oil, cut it into smaller pieces and filled the ramekins halfway. Then I put in half of the chopped dates and chocolate chips and repeated the layer of bread and dates and chocolate.

I whisked up the egg with the syrup and coconut milk and added a squeeze of lime juice and a splash of water (probably 50ml or so). Upon tasting it a half-teaspoon of vanilla extract would have been very welcome, and next time I may consider adding some spices.

Pour the egg and coconut mixture over the ramekin full of bread, sprinkle with sugar (looks pretty, tastes good) and bake for 25-30mins in an oven pre-heated to 180 C.

This is such a great way of using up store cupboard ingredients. Nothing fresh requried (though I am certain some fruit - bananas or apricot - might have also made it more tasty). As well as a pudding this makes a decadent breakfast, heated up.

No comments: